Saturday, October 24, 2009

IMAZ Day 62: The Longest Day Yet

First, Day 61 epilogue...34 minute run late evening with two emergency pit stops. It's TMI, but funny how food and drink are being processed much more effectively on this training. Felt good after warming up and after stops.

Day 62: I did the longest brick I've ever done. The threat of monsoon-like conditions (and the inability to switch to tomorrow due to travel) convinced me to go inside on the bike. I planned and executed a 5 hour ride (5:01 to be exact) of mostly steady pace -- let's call it 90+ miles, but it could be more, could be a drop less. Most importantly, I simulated food conditions for the race and tried to test my calorie intake. Over the course of the ride I ate one fruit/nut bar, one fruit/cakey bar, 4 GUs, one peanut butter/honey sandwich (at 2 hours) and maybe 10 endurolytes (one every half hour until 3 hrs, then 2 every half hour). For drinks, I ended up with 3 large bottles CarboPro/water and 2 Gatorade/water. Total calories consumed seem to approximate 3000, which should be about right (maybe a little short). They worked today because I felt extremely good the last 90 minutes AND the whole run, which took 65 minutes and went at maybe 7:15-7:30 pace (conservatively). Total time, 6:06 for the workout. Then another 2-3 hours to consume any and all food near me.

I MAY be stupid enough to swim a little later, if only because swimming while traveling is dicey at best. Otherwise, VERY early morning run, I hope, before travel and then a longer run while in Las Vegas.

No comments:

Post a Comment