Monday, November 09, 2009

IMAZ Days 77 and 78: TAPER TIME

Day 77: Last day of "hard stuff". Biked with a group up to the Croton Dam. I figured one last 3-4 hour ride couldn't hurt and I didn't plan to really put the hammer down. That said...what a ride! Thanks to Rob W. and company for the great course. What a challenge! It's a mixed ride with really harsh, short hills, very challenging long gradual climbs and several spots where you can really hammer. I hung off the front for most of the ride and didn't go 100% but was close on a few occasions. 64 miles and 3:45 for a 17mph average, and that was after pushing the last 20 miles at >20mph most of the way. I wasn't dead after, but I certainly felt the ride, which helped the decision to end the training day there.

Day 78: Taper time is here. Sure, a 3500 yard swim doesn't SOUND like a taper, but it's shorter than I would have done. I felt very good and smooth in the water, which isn't usually the case on morning swims. Did 2x1000, some 100s, a 200 and a 500. After -- a 10 minute EASY jog. My goal for the next week or so will be to rest the legs by decreasing volumes but will keep swimming (maybe more frequently) to maintain rhythm. Travel will help keep volumes low as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment